Spouse & Children

We realize it can be an exciting yet difficult move for spouses who come to the U.S. with their partner who will be a student, scholar, staff or faculty member at UCLA so the Dashew Center does its best to provide as much information and resources to the spouses as possible.

Spouses’ Circle

Just because you are here for your spouse does not mean you can't be an active part of our center! Build a family of your own here at UCLA and meet other spouses that can relate to what you're experiencing. Men, Women and Children are ALL Welcome! Spouses’ Circle is every Friday starting at 11:00 AM in the Dashew Center Lobby. For more information: intlspouses@saonet.ucla.edu

Spouses’ Handbook

We have created a handbook especially for spouses so that you can get settled in L.A. quicker and easier. It has all kinds of information ranging from how to get a California Identification Card to enrolling your children in public school to how to use the L.A. transportation system. You can download a copy of the handbook here.

Child Care

Full-time, year-round child care is available to UCLA students, staff and faculty. The Early Care and Education (ECE) Resource and Information Program provides assistance in locating community-based child care. For more information click here (link to UCLA Child Care site).

UCLA Early Care and Education (ECE) operates three accredited child care centers. They serve the diverse population of UCLA's student, staff and faculty families.

  • Hours of operation are 7:30AM to 5:30 PM, Monday through Friday throughout the year.
  • Need-based tuition assistance is available.
  • The ECE Resource and Information Program provides individualized assistance, parenting and consumer information to over 1,000 families each year.

Contact Info for ECE

Box 951785/Los Angeles, CA 90095-1785
Phone: (310) 825-5086
Fax: (310) 825-4449
Email: ece@ece.ucla.edu

Public Schools

To enroll your child in a Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) school follow these steps:

  1. Go to their website: www.lausd.net
  2. Determine which school you are zoned to attend based on your address/residency.
  3. Register your child at the school and bring the following documents with you:
    1. Birth Certificate, Baptismal Certificate, or Passport
    2. Some Proof of Residency (ex. utility bill, business mail, etc).

More information is available in the parents’ online handbook, available in the following languages: English, Spanish, Armenian, Chinese, Korean.

English Language Classes

If your spouse would like to take English Language Classes (ESL) we recommend taking classes through UCLA Extension, Kaplan or Santa Monica College. Just keep in mind that spouses here on a F-2 are restricted to one class per quarter and they are not allow to enroll in degree-seeking programs or certificates.

Spouses’ Circle

Spouses’ Handbook