J-1 Visa

Jump to Section

Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)

Please note that this list is not intended as a substitute for counseling. Any topics that are not covered here should be discussed with a counselor. Please call the Dashew Center to schedule an appointment; we cannot process appointment requests via email.

  • Q:   I want to come to UCLA as a J-1 researcher, how do I apply?
    A:    You must contact the UCLA Department you are interested in visiting. The sponsoring department will submit the “Request Form for Certificate of Eligibility for J-1 Visa Status” to DCISS. Upon approval from the Department of Homeland Security, the DS2019 will be processed and mailed to you by your department. UCLA School of Medicine Visa and Licensing Office processes J-1 visas for visitors to the School of Medicine and other affiliated hospitals.

  • Q:    I am a student in my home country and want to come to UCLA as a researcher, how do I apply?
    A:   If you are a graduate student, your sponsoring UCLA department needs to contact the Graduate Division regarding the application, requirements, and fees. If you are an undergraduate student, your sponsoring UCLA department must contact the Undergraduate Research Center regarding the application and requirements. Once registered, your sponsoring UCLA department will need to contact DCISS to begin the J-1 DS-2019 application process.

  • Q:    I am a student in my home country and wish to participate in the Education Abroad Program (EAP) as a reciprocity student, how do I apply?
    A:    If you are a registered student at one of UC's host universities, you may be eligible to participate. Please visit the international exchanges program at your home university for application materials.

  • Q:   How can I get J-1 visa status to study at UCLA or continue studies at UCLA?
    A:   If you are a newly admitted student, you will receive an email for the J-1 Portal Online Application to request a DS2019 form after you submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) to UCLA. You will need the DS-2019 form to apply for a J-1 visa. If you are a re-admitted student or a continuing student at UCLA on a different visa status and wish to change to J-1, contact a J-1 Advisor for instructions on how to obtain a DS-2019 form.

  • Q:   After my arrival at UCLA, how soon must I check-in at DCISS?
    A:   It is mandatory that you check in with DCISS as soon as possible after your arrival, but no later than 30 days after the starting date listed on your DS2019. If you fail to report to our office within the 30-day time period, your DS2019 form will be voided automatically by the US Homeland Security Department making your stay in the U.S. illegal. Please bring your stamped DS2019, your passport and I-94 Admissions Record to our office at the time of checking in.

  • Q:   My spouse and children do not plan to come with me to the U.S. Can they join me later?
    A:   Your spouse and children can join you on J-2 visa status at any time during your stay in the US. You do not need to request a DS2019 form at the same time you are getting one. They can request a DS2019 form to apply for the J-2 visa when they are ready to visit you.

  • Q:   How do I make an appointment?
    A:   Appointments can be made by calling our front desk at (310)-825-1681 (or 51681 from a campus phone). Please be aware that during peak periods, the waiting time for an appointment can be up to 2 weeks.

  • Q:   What services need an appointment?
    A:   Appointments with a counselor are required for the following: Any detailed questions regarding your visa status, home residency requirement, change of status or other out-of-the-ordinary requests, transfers and work permits/academic training.

  • Q:   What services do NOT need an appointment?
    A:   Paperwork for the following can be dropped off at the DCISS front desk: Requests for a DS2019 (new program or extension), travel validation, separate entry of family member, certification of status, parent invitation, social security number request.

  • Q:   I have some tax questions..
    A:   Each year – normally in the months of February, March and April – DCISS coordinates workshops with campus and outside professionals to assist UCLA scholars and students with the preparation of non-resident tax returns. Once available, the dates will be announced via your URSA e-mail address as well as on this website. You will also find other information, including on-line forms and references, on our website, specifically the Non-Resident Tax Information page. You will also find a list of professional tax preparers on our website as well as on the UCLA Tax Services website, should you require personal assistance for your individual tax returns.

  • Q:   Can I buy Health Insurance from a carrier in my country?
    A:   As long as the coverage meets J-1 visa regulations. Coverage requirements are listed at UCLA’s insurance compliance agency website: http://www.garnett-powers.com/vs/ucla/. Through the waiver process, Garnett-Powers will review your purchased plan to determine if it meets the J-1 visa regulations.
Documents & Forms

Exchange Visitor (EV) Regulations Handbook

American Culture and Conversation

Spouses’ Circle