Services for Continuing Students

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number(ITIN) Letter

F-1 students receiving fellowships, scholarships, or grants must have a SSN or an ITIN(Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) to access GLACIER and reports such awards to the Internal Revenue Service(IRS) for tax purposes.

F-1 students who are receiving awards, but currently not eligible for a SSN must instead apply for an ITIN.
Please follow the steps below to obtain an ITIN:

Step 1: Obtain an Award Letter

Obtain an official scholarship/fellowship/grant award letter indicating the type of award, amount, and term of the award (provided by the awarding organization or academic department).

Step 2: Submit ITIN Request Form and Award Letter to DCISS

Submit an ITIN Request form and your official award letter to DCISS (no appointment required). Your ITIN Eligibility Letter will be ready for pick up 3 business days after the date of submission.

Step 3: Schedule an Appointment with UCLA Tax Services

Take the following documents to UCLA Tax Services:

  • DCISS ITIN Eligibility Letter
  • Scholarship/Fellowship/Grant Award Letter(s)
  • UCLA I-20
  • Passport

    To schedule an appointment with UCLA Tax Services personnel, please call 310-794-0538

** Note: You only need to apply for an ITIN if you are currently ineligible for a SSN. If you are eligible for a SSN, you do not need to apply for an ITIN. If you are currently receiving awards but plan to work in future quarters, then you must first apply for an ITIN first, and upon receiving your job offer in the future, apply for an SSN.

ITIN Request Form
Sample Scholarship/Grant Award Letter
Processing Timeline


Contact us at 310-825-1681