Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT Audit/Reporting

F-1 students engaging in OPT must report their employment status and any personal information changes within 10 days of the change via the OPT Audit/Report:

  • Employment Status: Report your current employer’s information, and employment start date and previous employment end date (if applicable)..
  • Address and Phone Number Change: Report your current U.S. residential address and local phone number.

If you are currently unemployed or will be leaving the U.S. permanently before completing your OPT, please indicate that in your report.

F-1 students engaging in the 24-month STEM OPT Extension must report the following to maintain valid F-1 status during their STEM OPT Extension period:

Every 6 months:
  • Their legal name
  • Residential address
  • Employer name and address
  • Status of current employment
Self-Evaluations (submit via email to dcissf1unit@saonet.ucla.edu)
  • First self-evaluation is due 12 months after the STEM OPT Extension start date
  • Final self-evaluation is due at the end of the STEM OPT Extension period
Unemployment (submit via email to dcissf1unit@saonet.ucla.edu)
  • Report unemployment by submitting a self-evaluation for your previous employment within 10 days of your last day of employment, and a new OPT Audit/Report to update your employment status
Material Changes (submit via email to dcissf1unit@saonet.ucla.edu)
  • Report material changes to an existing Form I-983 by submitting an updated Form I-983
  • Material changes include (but are not limited to): any change of the employer’s EIN, any reduction in student compensation that is not tied to a reduction in hours worked, any significant decrease in hours per week that a student engages in a STEM training opportunity, changes to the employer’s commitments or student’s learning objectives as documented on the Form I-983.
Employer Non-Compliance
    If a STEM OPT student believes that their employer is not complying with the terms and conditions of the 24-month STEM OPT Extension regulations, the Form I-983 instructions, and the completed Form I-983 on file with their Designated School Official, the student may:
  • Contact the Student and Exchange Visitor Program at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Follow instructions provided here. https://www.ice.gov/sevis/contact
  • Report violations through the Homeland Security Investigations tip submission form. https://www.ice.gov/webform/hsi-tip-form

Contact us at